Monday, June 11, 2007

2006 Daytime Emmys: Outstanding Drama Series

Nominees and Episodes

Bold and the Beautiful
Stephanie confronts her mother about past abuse
More Steph confronting about Dad's beatings

Guiding Light
Jonathan thinks about actions since coming to town
Dinah and Mallet's non-wedding

One Life to Live
Todd's Execution
John's Funeral

Young and the Restless
Ice storm hits Genoa City
Speculation episode on who killed Carmen Mesta


Bold and the Beautiful submitted the same episodes for writing as in the outstanding Drama category. (Thus you can read more on that below.) I do want to comment that the acting in this episode in outstanding. It features multiple Emmy winner Susan Flannery’s Stephanie taking on her mother, a surprisingly cold and mean Betty White. Great story, great drama. They may get their first Emmy!

Guiding Light again submits two Inside the Light episodes but not the same ones from the writing category. The first episode is heavy drama centered around Emmy-winner Tom Pelphrey’s Jonathan. Typical of ITL episodes it is fleshed out and well told story. The second episode is comedic and centers around popular couple of Dinah and Mallet. Through the two episodes they exhibit strong writing as well as strong acting. And without much overlap in the actors in the two episodes, one realizes that GL has the best cast in all of daytime. God, I hope they win!

One Life to Live submitted the Todd execution storyline. I remember when this first aired that it was very compelling and I still felt this in my second viewing (though I knew Todd would be saved). Of all the episodes submitted in this category, it is the best. The second episode centers around John McBain’s funeral. After an execution episode, another eppy centering around death seems a bit much. In addition, the John McBain character is fairly new to daytime, so his funeral may not resonate with non-viewers. Overall I would say that the episodes have great writing, but the acting is not as strong as GL.

Young and the Restless also has the same picks for their writing nomination. There is a saying “if it ain’t on the page, it ain’t on the stage” and the cast and crew of YR will NOT be on the stage to collect an emmy with these two subpar episodes.

I think this is anyone but YRs to win. I can’t decide even who I would choose, let alone who the entire academy might choose.

Who will win: Anyone but YR *smile*

Who should win: Guiding Light

I would vote for: Bold and the Beautiful or Guiding Light*

Don't count out: One Life to Live has lots of buzz


*I know this sounds fickle. I have gone back and forth. I wonder if my vote for GL is out of loyalty, as it is the soap I have watched the longest. Then again, Bold and the Beautiful is one my current favorites. Okay, if I had to vote it would be……………….Guiding Light.

No comments: