Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Passions Cancelled

During the TV critics tour of Los Angeles, NBC triumphantly announced that The Today Show would be going to 4 hours. The victim on this nonsense is Passions.

Now, I admit, I am no fan of Passions. I find it rather silly. I laugh each time Robyn is home from some offbeat school holiday and calls me to ask "Have you watched this Passions show, it is CRAZY?!" However, the show does great with the younger demographic. And, for the most part soap fans are loyal. This is why I have always said that NBC should stick with Passions because it could beat Y&R in the ratings in a decade or so. Alas, network executives have no patience.

Which leads to the question WHY? The Today Show is too long as it now stands. Do we really need one more hour of cooking segments, celebrity interviews and lame weather jokes?

And, not only does it speak to the little patience that network execs possess, it speaks volumes to what may possibly be the future of soaps.

No comments: